Monday, May 10, 2010

When I play

On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays I'm on the hockey field, and here's a little introduction to the equipment I use.




Say hello to my Adidas HS4 stick. It retails at just under R1000 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Most good sticks are well over that figure. The grip on this one is great but the power is lacking mainly because of the 15% Carbon/5% Aramid/80% Glassfibre ratio. Basically more carbon equals more power.

Then for shoes, I chose to play with my Salomon trail runners, because I already owned the pair when I started playing. Hockey shoes are similar to soccer trainers because both are designed for grip on flat well cut grass or artificial surfaces. Hockey is mainly played on astro (artificial surface). They are sturdy comfortable shoes and it will be a while before I change over to another pair or brand. You wont find many people playing hockey in these shoes, but then again everywhere you look feet and shoes have occupied a glorified position in society. Each pair wants to be different from the next, and this desire to be different is increasingly evident in shopping malls and now on hockey fields.

My shin guards are pretty standard. Grays has always been a big name in hockey, and I am sure most of hockey players use grays shins. This particular type is designed to have a mold-to-your-shin effect and by my estimates is the most widely used by field and astro players.

Some of the other equipment not included are gum guards, gloves, socks and playing clothes etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment