Wednesday, May 26, 2010

max was blown away

I spent the weekend at the Darling Wind Farm, up the west coast of Cape Town. This is the first commercial wind farm in South Africa and already supplies power to Cape Town.

The drive to this farm is breathtaking, and almost rivals the garden route. I was hosted there by a nice Afrikaans electrician, Dirk.

I spent time asking Dirk many questions while also posing for photos. I left the farm thinking its great that we can use wind for that purpose. As far as I know, wind is colourless and, a zero carbon source of energy. The size of one of those turbines is unimaginable and the blades are almost the length of a Boeing 737 wing. Totally completely awesome! But I'm not totally completely convinced.

Something tells me we probably need to know more about wind energy before becoming totally dependent on it, like we have with our black friends c.o.a and l. I'm going to have to read up on this, however as a conclusion for the purpose of this entry, its fair to say I was blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment