Wednesday, June 30, 2010

mature student

I sat with a student today to discuss the prevention of the migration of a hydrocarbon plume in groundwater, or more simply how to stop a runaway petrol spill in water. He is writing a thesis on the topic and has chosen a site that I'm busy working on. The meeting was more of an interview than a meeting. Saying it was a meeting makes me sound important, which I'm actually not. We talked for about an hour. It was one of those roundabout conversations, but I think we did our best to understand each other. There was lots of eye contact. I even drew him a diagram. There are two interesting points about all this. One, the site is owned by BP and the dude is about 48 or 52 years old. I'm not sure of his exact age, but there were definitely some grey hair on his head. It reminded me of that Grey's Anatomy episode where Dr. Karev gets the 60 year old intern, Norman. Yeah! The result of our interaction was not a humourous, as much as it was inspiring. I think I would like to study again. Oh about BP, well they seem to have the worse end of anything spill-related these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment