Friday, April 30, 2010

losing faith in democracy

In trying to end poverty and change the world, we are subjected to the belief that poverty alone as an issue is not as important as the consensus that is needed around the issue.

I hope you understand that I am in support of democracy because it enables change of whole countries and ideology. However democracy plays best in the field of numbers. In other words, change can happen if you have enough numbers behind a cause.

This then should be encouragement for me (and us) to join up in movements to end extreme poverty. We should do this in huge numbers. But if I have to wait for another march, protest, conference or summit to see the living conditions of the poor improved then I feel deeply disillusioned.

My solution ... may sound immediately controversial, but what hey, this is the internet: I think it is time we took the fight to end poverty away from governments and back into the hands of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment