Wednesday, July 22, 2009

togetherness

My friends from Durban and Edmonton got married this past weekend, and now because they are permanently together, I need to add a 'ness' to that word...togetherness meaning the condition of being together and now regarded a collective. Married.

I enjoyed the wedding celebrations, which lasted only 3.5hours. That's very efficient given half of the briday party was african. I also enjoyed the show because I was the best man.

Enjoyment aside, failure to foresee how demanding being on the other side of the party became my weakness. Let me explain, for one, I couldn't finish the food on my plate because I was worried about the groom looking the part (i think the waiter came too early). Second, I kept wondering if the music was too loud and if people could hear each other talk (and now i can't remember what music was played). Lastly, it was nearly impossible to know who looked more attractive because my attention was so widely spread on everything else.

My assessment of being a best man is thus: you won't remember the food, the music and the pretty girls. However, missing out on these three wedding essentials is a small sacrifice in view of the spirit of togetherness for which everyone gathers.

Now, I'm deeply satisfied at the togetherness of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment